/* On This Day ----------------------------------------------- */ /* End On This Day ----------------------------------------------- */

Monday, August 14, 2006
On this day:

Denver no longer Worlds Apart from Sony

Hello Sports Racers (groans from the gallery, is that old already? Sorry.)
I'm back from a self imposed blogging sabatical while I have been brewing up several big, hairy things at work that have taken up most of my cycles, and much of my energy. Including a rather enjoyable blog project for which we are actually HIRING 5 bloggers. I love that project.
So, great news for Denver:
Sony Online Entertainment (maker of some of the biggest video games out now) just bought a little company on 11th and Grant here in good ole Denver called Worlds Apart. Worlds Apart will become Sony Online Entertainment -Denver (!)
Worlds Apart is a collectible card game developer (think Magic: the Gathering, or Pokemon type games with serious online components) who owns the Lord of the Rings online trading card game, Star Trek online customizable card game among others (http://www.worlds-apart.com/games/).
I stumbled on Worlds Apart a couple of years ago when researching Colorado based game developers, and always thought if I was to try to get into the gaming industry, this company would be my first stop because a.) they are in my home town, blocks from where I work now and b.) their games, though based on cards, are really huge online communities. Art and writing are rich and varied. Players are loyal and in my estimation often a little older and maybe smarter in a sci-fi geek-fan sort of way (John, think Kevin, Doug or Amy. Big inside joke everybody else).
I am convinced a parallel version of me actually writes or draws for that company, or at least moderates a guild site....
More details at David Thomas's Denver Post blog.

Excelsior! (yes, from 'So you want to be a superhero?')


Another Colorado game devloper making it big; Louisville's Net Devil, maker of AutoAssualt (http://www.netdevil.com/about.asp)(http://www.autoassault.com/index.html)

Colorado Game Developers Association

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're hiring five bloggers and I never got a call. Thanks for letting me languish at FedEx! :)

What's the project?

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, the FedEx problem is my fault. Damn personal responsibility!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hiring a blogger?! I'm a blogger! And I'll work for money! Hire me! (what are we gonna blog about?!)

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home